Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cannot Change Me

I hide the answers
You desperately seek
The power struggle continues
Positioning myself for the win
I look down from my tower
Built from the broken hearts
Of past lovers
I can only hope you get bored
That you'll forget and leave
The questions you ask
Are ones I've spent time covering
I will do anything to avoid
The judgement your eyes hold
You think I may eventually crack
That no one can remain this strong forever
But that's what others have said
Challenging the promises I've made to myself
I have given myself this power
By holding the secrets that are tied to my heart
To myself I am always true
Since no one else gave that to me
When I was mistreated and lied to
I reach for another to fill their space
But those vanished too
Leaving me without a trace
Maybe it was me trusting to easily
I will never be a damsel in distress
Putting my fate in a prince that may never come
I've been sappy love sick
Its never done me any good
Clouding my judgement
Instead of seeing the things they were not
I have been my own savior
I have wiped my tears
And picked myself up walked away
When everything was lost
But the small glimmer of hope
That someone else could love me
That they would never lie or leave me alone
But in the end it was only just me
So if you think this is just an act
You will sadly be mistaken
When you realize you can't change me
So I will stay hidden
Away from your magnifying glass
Where I can finally feel free
From the worry of anyone else leaving me

No comments:

Post a Comment