Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Past


My heart slices
Smooth as razors edge
My words strike
No thought of regret
No feeling of sorrow
For the friends I've lost
Or lovers I have hurt
The truth will set me free
I don't linger in the past
If I stand still I am bound
To have the memories
Catch up to me
The feelings should live there
In the past where they were left
Clinging to my coat tail
I never look over my shoulder
It would take pieces of me
I harden my heart
All the years of pain
The abuse of three simple words
That always complicate
The trust I gave so freely
Naive to the reality of it all
That sticks and stone can break your heart
And words you cannot ever take back
No matter how many times you say your sorry
The emptiness paints a picture
Of someone with no heart
Cold and frozen over
The blood still pumps
For no other reason than to stay alive
I breathe in I breath out
I find solace in being on my own
So I can not longer be infected
By those I thought I knew
I don't believe in lies
But they seem to be there all the time
Feeling can shatter a home
Can breed regret
I can pretend very well
But prefer to rebuild alone
The only one I can completely trust
Has always laid within me

No comments:

Post a Comment